About Jane Braithwaite
Jane was born in the Pennine village of Delph, north of Manchester but now lives in The Yorkshire Dales, close to the racehorse training area of Middleham. She has always had a natural affinity for horses and began riding as a young child. Her love for drawing and painting them also started at an early age.
Although Jane completed the Foundation course at Manchester College of Art in the early 1970s, she went on to lead a busy life as a Primary School teacher for 23 years and later, ran her own saddlery and country clothing business for 15 years. Throughout this time she also competed in eventing and dressage with her own horses. Now, with the competition years over, and the horses gone, she has returned to painting.
She has exhibited locally and nationally since 2014 and has won awards for her work (see list below). She enjoys the challenge of portraiture and painting figures in the context of cityscapes however, painting horses in a variety of situations such as racing, polo and eventing is where her heart truly lies.
She uses oils and sometimes charcoal to explore her interest in light, form, space and movement. Her aim is to catch that elusive fleeting moment which tells a story, without sentimentality.
All enquiries welcome. Commissions undertaken.
Jane’s work is available for sale direct from the artist or from galleries around the UK including Equestrian Art International.
- an elected Full Member (and committee member) of The Society of Equestrian Artists (SEA)
- an elected member of the Manchester Academy of Fine Arts (MAFA).
- a frequent exhibitor both locally and nationally.
- 2022 Winner of Cuneo Medal for third consecutive year at SEA Horse in Art
- 2019 Winner of Cuneo Medal for second consecutive year at SEA Horse in Art Exhibition. Tuxford
- 2019 Winner of Sally Mitchell Christmas Card Award at SEA Horse in Art Exhibition. Tuxford.
- 2019 Highly commended (top five) Ken Bromley Catalogue Cover Competition.
- 2018 Winner Cuneo Medal for ‘most meritorious group of work’. SEA Horse in Art Exhibition, Tuxford.
- 2018 SEA Horse in Art Exhibition. Tuxford. Winner Banstead Manor Stud Best Sporting Picture Award - “Canal Turn”.
- 2018 Holmfirth Arts Festival, Holmfirth. Winner Best Picture Award - “Central Library. M2”
- 2017 SEA Horse in Art Exhibition,Tuxford. Denford Stud Best in Show Runner up - “Athlete”.
- #SilkSeriesArt 2017 (ARC) winner of the Twitter public vote for Best Racing Picture by a Female Artist - “Athlete”
- 2017 SEA Summer Exhibition, Newmarket. Finalist for Twitter vote.
- 2017 SEA Summer Exhibition, Newmarket. Best Sporting Picture Award. Highly commended - “Athlete”
- 2017 SEA Summer Exhibition, Newmarket. Winner Plein Air Painting Event.
- 2016 SEA Horse in Art Exhibition Denford Stud Best in Show Award at Horse in Art Exhibition, Newmarket - "Between Chukkas".
- 2016 SEA Horse in Art Exhibition, Newmarket. Winner Plein Air Painting Event.
- 2014 Patchings (in conjunction with Artist and Leisure Painter magazines) Category Award Winner - "His 'n' Hers"
- Commissioned to paint the Injured Jockey’s Fund Christmas card 2021.
- ArenaRacing Company. ‘Regal Flow’. Oil. Winner of Midlands Grand National, Uttoxeter.
- Arena Racing Company. ‘Up for Grabs’. Oil. Presented to Silk Series winning lady jockey at Doncaster St Leger Meeting.
- Private commission. ‘The Only Way is Higher (Blake)’. British Pony Dressage Team, Hickstead 1998.
- Numerous equestrian and urban landscape commissions completed.